jump to navigation

What is H-1B Visa? PART 1 September 4, 2006

Posted by dsheen88 in H-1B visa, Tips.

H-1B is a non-immigrant work visa that allows alien who work temporarily in the United States in a specialty occupation. Such specialty occupations include engineering, business, accounting, medicine and health, physical and social sciences, architecture, mathematics, education, law, and other fields that require specialized knowledge. An alien with an H-1B visa must prove that he or she is qualified for the specialty occupation position, which generally requires a four-year degree or a combination of education and experience.

A sponsoring U.S. employer is required for this visa. The employer must meet certain requirements to qualify as a sponsore or “petitioner.” The employer must file paperwork, which includes a labor condition application and Form I-129 petition, on behalf of the alien worker seeking such a visa. The labor condition application includes information about “prevailing wages” for the position and the available working conditions. During the period that an H-1B worker is employed, the employer must comply with regulations and reporting set by the U.S. government.

*Next Week’s topic: general requirements for alien worker and H-1b employer



No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: